Preparing pages and blocks before translation
Translations are based on the master language (generally English). Because of that it is important to finalize the master language before translations. After these finalizations it is most effective to translate the content. Then you can take a full advantage of the translation and don't have to do double work.
Check these tasks as a final tuning for master language:
- appropriate layout and content
- good and clear naming with blocks and all fields are filled (for example ALT texts)
- page properties are completed (SEO's meta description at least)
- make testing also with mobile devices
Add a language version by following steps:
- Add a gadget "Languages".
- Open a page you want to translate and click "Create" (1) next to language you want on the Languages gadget. Best practice is to duplicate the English content (2) and replace it with another language (in this case Finnish).
- After duplicating the page you will see all page's blocks with grey stripes. Then you can start to translate blocks by choosing them one by one from top righ corner's hamburger menu and choosing "Edit". Then you can make same steps with Languages gadget (Create » Duplicate English content).
- Translations are needed also for page properties. To change them, click "All properties" button on the top of the page.
- Translate at least:
- Name in URL (except special ones like Chinese, Japanese and Korean)
- SEO metadescription (under SEO/Social)
- Teaser text if used
- After you are ready with changes, publish the page. You can see all blocks you have translated. Grey-striped are not seen in published version but can be translated later or deleted if necessary.
- Language selector appears automatically to the right top corner of the page. If you want to hide it can be done from page's All properties » Navigation » Hide language selector.
- Images can be copied directly from English master. If there is need to use different image with different languages you can always delete original image from language version and replace it with different image.
- Images and their background information are used already with Image Gallery and Tag Filter Search but there will be more. For that and also for Google it is important to make translation to image properties:
- Open Media folder on the right.
- To open image settings, double-click the image or click "Edit" on the image's hamburger menu.
- Click "All properties" button on the top (next to Options button) to get a better view.
- Choose enabled languages.
- Add names and descriptions for those languages.